Once you've installed and signed in to our app for Outlook, you'll be ready to access Insightly right from your Outlook email inbox. This article gives you a tour through the available features, and we have an Outlook app video, too.
With the app, you can:
- Save a copy of an incoming email message to Insightly.
- Create a new contact record.
- Link to related organizations when saving an e-mail.
- View details, linked organizations, and recent history for existing Insightly contacts.
- Create tasks, opportunities, projects, events.
Some features are not available in the app. We often get asked about these:
- Can't save e-mails from Outlook's Sent Items folder
- Cannot create leads
- E-mail attachments are only saved to Insightly when the email is saved
- Cannot link e-mails to other records, like opportunities and projects
- Can't create tags from the app
We're sorry these features aren't available, but we've let our product team know that these would be great for future updates.
How to use the app
To get started, open an incoming message in your Outlook inbox, then click the word "Insightly" on the app bar. If you haven't signed in yet, you'll be prompted to enter your Insightly login information. (Only messages in your inbox can be used with the app.)
There are many things you can do with the app:
Save a copy of the email to Insightly
Saving an email to Insightly will automatically create new contacts based on the contacts in the message header and link the email to all new and matching contacts in Insightly.
- Click the Save Email button to save the message.
Create an Insightly contact
Along the left side of the app, you'll see icons or images for each of the contacts listed in the message header.
- Click an icon to select a contact.
- Click the Yes, save contact button to create the contact in Insightly. If the email address of the contact matches the domain of an existing organization, Insightly will automatically link the new contact to it.
View Insightly contact information
When a contact exists in Insightly, clicking the contact icon will display the following information from Insightly:
- Contact Details, including phone numbers and addresses.
- Linked Organizations
- Recent History, such as recently added tasks or events.
- View in Insightly button, which you can click to open the contact record in a new Insightly window.
Create new Insightly records
You can create new tasks, opportunities, projects, and events from the app.
- Click the Add > New... dropdown list and select the item you'd like to create. A form will open in a new window.
- Enter the details for the item and click the Save button at the bottom of the form. The new item will be created in Insightly.