You can set up custom fields to hold unique information that you'll need to record in your CRM. If you will be setting up multiple custom fields for a single record type and would like to group them, you might want to set up custom fields groups before creating the fields.
To set up a custom field:
- Click the profile icon and go to the System Settings > Custom Fields page.
- Select the tab for the record type you’ll be creating fields for (Contacts, Organizations, etc.).
If the field you're creating already exists for a different type of record, you can select that record type and duplicate the field.
- From a tab on the System Settings > Custom Fields page, click on Add Field button.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Field Label – Enter the name for your new field. For example, we are going to create a new field under Contacts called “Billing ID.” (Don't duplicate the names of Insightly's default fields, as this may cause confusion for your users.)
- Default Value – This will change depending on the Field Type you select below. Select or enter the value that appears automatically.
- Help Text – Enter a brief description of the new field. This description will be shown when the icon next to field is selected on the entry form. (This is optional.)
- Select an option from the Field Type list. For our example, we will select Numeric, as our billing ID will only contain numbers. Once a field is created, it's type cannot be changed.
The field type options are:
If you edit a dropdown list value later, Insightly will not retroactively apply your changes to existing records. But you can go back and update those previous records through bulk editing.
- Text Field – A single-line text box that holds up to 100 characters.
- Date Field – A date field with a calendar selection.
- Checkbox – A checkbox which displays as checked or unchecked.
- Numeric – An entry box that will accept only numerical entries.
- URL – A web address field.
- Multi-line Text Field – A three-line text box that holds up to 4000 characters.
- Email Address Field – A text field that will be scanned for matches when you save an email to Insightly.
- Phone Number Field – A text field for phone numbers.
- Dropdown Field – A list of options that you define. Dropdown lists will keep the field values consistent (for example, there will be none of the misspellings that you might get with a text field). There's no limit to the number of items you can add to your list, and you can click the radio button to the left of an item to make it the default choice.
Also, when you need to leave a blank option, enter something like "None." This will help you when you're creating filters or reports based on the field.
- Select the group in which the field will appear from the Group Name list. (You can also set up groups later and come back to edit this field.)
- Check the Visible box to display the field. If you later want to temporarily hide this field, you can uncheck this box to archive the field and still retain the hidden data in Insightly. This is an alternative to deleting the field, which will permanently delete the field and the data it contains.
- Check the User Editable box. If you later want to prevent the data in the field from being changed but still keep it displayed, you can uncheck this box to prevent the field from being edited.
- When you are happy with the new field, click the Save Custom Field button.
- If you would like your custom fields to be presented in a specific order or in a different group, place your cursor over the re-order handlebar to the left of the custom field. Click and drag your custom field up or down to a different position in the list or to a different group.
We also have a video to walk you through this process.