So, you’ve qualified a lead and are ready to begin the sales process. Nice!
Converting a lead will create and automatically link sales opportunities, contacts, and organizations for you. You can't convert a contact to a lead, so be sure to always start with a lead record when following your sales process.
When you convert a lead, Insightly will do the following:
- Mark the lead as “CLOSED – Converted.”
- Create a contact from the lead’s information or link to an existing contact that you select.
- Create an organization or link to an existing organization that you select.
- Create an open opportunity linked to the contact, the organization, and the closed lead.
- Copy custom field values to the opportunity, contact, and/or organization (if you have cloned and mapped those same custom fields from leads to the other records).
- Apply the visibility permissions from the lead to the new records listed above.
- Link all of the lead’s files, tasks, emails, events, and notes to the new opportunity.
- Create a task linked to the new opportunity, if you enter task information.
Converting a lead
- When viewing a lead that you have qualified, click the Actions menu and select Convert Lead.
- Enter a name for the new sales opportunity. Insightly will fill in the organization and contact name to get you started, but you can change it.
- Choose a responsible user from the list. This will assign the new opportunity to the user and you can check the box on the right to trigger an email notifying them of their new sales opportunity.
- Verify or edit the contact name. If you edit this field, Insightly will look for a matching contact name. A new contact will be created if you do not select an existing one. The contact will be automatically linked to the opportunity and organization created during the lead's conversion.
If you choose an existing contact, or an existing organization in the next step, Insightly will indicate that the closed lead will be linked to an existing record with a green link icon in the upper right of the field.
- Verify or edit the organization name. If you edit this field, Insightly will look for a matching organization name. A new organization will be created if you do not select an existing one. The organization will be automatically linked to the opportunity and contact created during the lead's conversion.
You can choose to create a new task for the responsible user by entering information in the ADD FOLLOW UP TASK section. This task will also be linked to the new opportunity.
Click the Save button at the top of the record. Insightly will use the information from the lead and your entries to create an opportunity, a contact, and a related task and organization, if you’ve included this information.
Converted leads will always create a contact and an opportunity. If you’ve included organization and task information, Insightly will also create those records. The new opportunity will be linked to all of these records and the original lead.
The New Opportunity
After converting the lead, you’ll be taken to the new opportunity page, where you can edit the opportunity if you need to make changes or enter more details. All of the items attached to the lead will be linked to the opportunity. Opportunities created from converted leads will include a Converted from Lead field with a link to the closed lead. Tags are not carried over. A custom field value is carried over only if you have created the same custom field for both your leads and opportunities.
The Closed Lead
Insightly will change the lead’s status to “CLOSED – Converted” after the conversion is complete. You’ll still be able to access the closed lead to view it or edit it, but you cannot change the lead’s status.
The New Contact
The new contact will include the main details from the lead; tags and custom fields are not carried over to the contact. The Converted from Lead field will also be added to the contact with a link to the closed lead. Links will also be created to the opportunity and the organization.