Journeys can help you fully automate your marketing activities, but first, you'll need to set one up!
A Journey can be as simple or complex as you need. First, you will create a Journey record, where you'll give it a name, choose your recipient and suppression Lists, and set up some basic rules for the Journey.
After the record has been created, you'll use the Journey Builder to configure the steps. There are three types of steps:
- An update or task you want to occur to a Prospect or user, such as sending an email or increasing a score.
- Prompt that sets off an action, such as a Prospect opening an email.
- Verifies a Prospect's field values before allowing them to move forward in the Journey.
Insightly will autosave your Journey as you add steps. Journeys can have up to 300 steps. The Journey will not run until you tell it to, so you can begin configuring it before it needs to be sent to Prospects.
To create a Journey record:
- Go to Journeys and click New Journey.
- Enter the name of your Journey and a description.
- Choose a Folder.
- Add your recipient and suppression Lists. If a Prospect is on multiple recipient Lists, they will only be emailed once.
If a Prospect is on a recipient List and a suppression List, the suppression List will override the recipient List and the Prospect will not be included in the Journey.
- If needed, check the Allow Journey Repeats checkbox. The maximum number of repeating Journeys at one time is 10.
Adjust the number of repeats allowed and the wait time between repeats.
- If needed, check the Send Email During Business Hours Only checkbox. You will then select the times an email can be sent to a Prospect.
- Click Save.
To configure a Journey:
Every Journey created will be unique. In the instructions below, we will configure a simple starter Journey. Feel free to set yours up with different steps - this is just one example!
- A brand new Journey will have a teal gear icon to represent the start and a red square icon to represent the end. In between the two, there is a plus icon.
Click the plus icon.
- Next, you will choose to add an Action, Trigger, or Check.
Select Add Action.
- You will be given a list of Actions. In this example, we will choose Send Email.
- Select the Email template you want to send. Then, select when the Email will be sent. Click Save.
- You can add steps before and after any steps you've already created.
Click the plus icon under the Send Email step.
- Click Add Trigger.
- Select Email Opened.
- Select the Email you used in the first step from the dropdown.
- Next, you can select when the next step will be triggered by the Action.
You can choose:
- Wait Up To: Selecting this means that once the Prospect has completed the Action, the next step will execute. You will set the maximum number of hours or days for the Journey to wait for the Prospect to take the Action. The limits are 365 days and 180 hours.
- Wait For: Selecting this means that the next step will not execute until after the time you set. So if you set the trigger to wait for 7 days, even if a Prospect has completed the Action, the next step of the Journey will execute after 7 days.
- Once you've set the wait time, click Save.
- You will now see that your Journey has branches.
In this example, the next steps for the Prospect are determined by whether or not they opened the first email within the 7-day time limit that was set.
For Prospects who did open the email, we will add an Action step to increase their score. For those who didn't open the email, we will decrease their score.
- Add a step after the increased score adjustment. Add a Send Email Action. We will send them a new email. For example, new products they might be interested in.
- Next, add a step after the decreased score adjustment. Select Add Check.
- Select Check Prospect Field. Set the Field Name as Score, the Operator as greater than, and the Field Value as 0. This will check that the Prospect's score is not 0 or lower. Set it to check immediately and click Save.
- A new branch will be created under the check.
In this case, if the Prospect's score is less than 0, I do not want to continue nurturing them. I will add the Remove from List Action.
When you've finished adding, you can either exit the Journey Builder so you can make edits later or you can start running your Journey.