Coming Soon : Version 2.2 of the web API
We are finishing up work on version 2.2 of the Insightly web API, which should be available for beta testing later this week (watch this thread for an announcement about details). The new version has been in the works for a while, and includes several major improvements that make the API faster and easier to use than ever.
Among the new features:
* Fast responses with paginated results - GET requests now return results in paginated recordsets (rather than sending potentially thousands of records in a single response). This results in significantly better performance.
* OData is replaced with a simplified search interface. With OData it was very difficult to do things like search for contacts by phone number. Now it's as a simple as GET http://api.insight.ly/.../contacts?phone=14155551212
* Incremental updates. You can make incremental updates to an existing object (for example to add an address) without having to upload the entire object graph (which reduces the risk of data loss).
* Web based sandbox for testing read/search operations. We're using the Swagger (swagger.io) tool for interactive documentation and sandbox. Now you can test API calls directly within your browser.
* Support for most features found within the web app, such as following/unfollowing insightly objects.
* SDKs/client libraries for most programming and scripting languages (generated via the Swagger tool, so they are always up to date with the API).
We'll post an announcement here when v2.2 is available for beta testing. We are looking for a few customers, preferably users who already making heavy use of the v2.1 API, to put v2.2 through its paces. If you'd like to be a beta tester, please submit a support ticket with the subject "v2.2 beta tester", and we'll let you know as soon as it is ready.
Thanks for using Insightly.
Insightly Engineering Team and Web API Product Manager