If your sales team qualifies leads before closing sales opportunities, they will want to use Insightly's Leads records to manage the qualification process. To make the best use of leads:
- Enable the Leads tab
- Set up the Lead Status field
- Set up the Lead Source field
- Set up Lead Assignment Rules
Enabling or disabling the Leads tab
If you don't see the Leads tab on the navigation bar on the left, or if your company doesn't use leads and you'd like to remove it, you can do that from the System Settings > Lead Management page.
Tick or untick the Lead Management enabled box to enable or disable this feature.
You’ll use the lead status to track where leads are in your sales process. You can add as many as you’d like and each of your lead statuses will correspond to one of two status types: OPEN or CLOSED. We also include five default statuses:
- “OPEN – NotContacted” is a default open status to get you started.
- “OPEN – AttemptedContact”
- “OPEN – Contacted”
- “CLOSED – Disqualified” is for leads that you find are not qualified.
- “CLOSED – Converted” is for leads you close or that are converted to opportunities, which Insightly will automatically mark with this status.
Some other examples of open lead statuses are: “Follow Up” or “Send Information.” Another closed status could be “Not Interested.”
To create a new status:
- Go to the System Settings > Lead Statuses page.
- Type the new status name in the Status field, select a Type of OPEN or CLOSED, and then click the Add Status button.
- Once a status is saved, you can select the Default radio button next to it to make it the default selection when someone creates a new lead.
- You can also place the statuses in a specific order in the dropdown list. Click the handle on the left to drag and drop the items up or down.
You can delete lead statuses you create if they’re not in use. Click the trash can icon next to a status to remove it.
The lead source field identifies where you obtained the lead’s information, such as “Trade Show,” “Referral,” or “Phone Inquiry.” Insightly includes the Web source for leads created through our Web to Lead form, and you can create as many others as you’d like.
To create a new source:
- Go to the System Settings > Lead Sources page.
- Type the new source name in the New Lead Source field and click the Add Lead Source button.
- Once a source is saved, you can select the Default radio button next to it to make it the default selection when someone creates a new lead.
- You can also place the statuses in a specific order in the dropdown list. Click and hold the handle on the left to drag and drop the items up or down.
You can also delete lead sources you create if they’re not in use. Click the trash can icon next to a source to remove it.
Lead Assignment Rules
Lead assignment rules automate the process of assigning leads as they are added to Insightly, making it easier on sales managers and teams to distribute leads evenly or according to specific criteria. You can choose to assign leads in a number of different ways, including:
- Geographic area, by selecting fields like Postal Code, State/Province, or City.
- Number of employees, by selecting the Employee Count field.
- Your own custom fields that you've set up in Insightly.
- Round robin, by selecting a team or multiple individuals to receive leads on a rotating basis.
You can use almost any lead field to set up a rule, and you can choose from many different matching criteria. Read Setting up a lead assignment rule to learn more.