This article is part of the Security & Permissions Guide
You will need to add roles and assign users to them to set up your role hierarchy. This will be the first step in allowing certain users to view records that belong to other users. You can also set up sharing rules to share access across or up the role hierarchy.
To set up a new role:
- Go to System Settings > Permissions.
- Select the Roles tab.
- Click Add Role.
- Enter a name that describes the role's position in your permissions hierarchy. While this could match a job title or authority level, the role name doesn't necessarily need to mirror your company's org chart.
- Select a role that this one will report to. If this is your first role, skip this step.
- Click Save to move on to the user assignment page.
- Choose All Users with No Role or another option to filter the list of users. You can also use the search field to find a specific user.
- Assign a user to the role by clicking their name and then the right arrow.Each user may only be assigned to one role. If you choose a user who is already assigned to another role, they will be removed from their existing role and reassigned.
- Click Save.
The new role will now appear in the role hierarchy. You can view the available roles in a table or in a hierarchical tree view by selecting from the View As options.