This article is part of the Insightly Automation Guide
There are many decisions to make when planning a workflow, so you may skip or repeat some of the following steps, depending on the automated process you are building.
Setting up a new workflow takes three or four steps:
- Create a new process, where you'll choose the record type to watch and how often to evaluate records
- Add criteria to trigger the process
- Add time triggers to criteria (to optionally schedule actions)
- Add the actions that will occur when the process is triggered
- Go to System Settings > Workflow Processes.
- Click New Workflow Process.
- Enter a name for the process. For our example, we'll use "Major Purchase."
- Enter a description for the process. This should briefly outline your criteria and the automated actions. For our example, "For purchases over $50k, notify heads of operations and marketing and create task for accountant."
- Choose the record type that will trigger this process. We'll choose "Opportunity," since this is how our example company tracks purchases.
- Tick the Active box to disable this trigger. You can come back and edit and enable it later, after setting it up completely.
- Select an option to tell Insightly when to monitor the record.
- When a record is created - It's triggered or not triggered, but won't be checked again.
- When a record is created and edited (repeat check) - It's triggered each time the record is created or updated, repeating the actions every time your criteria is met.
- When a record is created or edited (stop after process is triggered) - If it's not triggered when record is created, Insightly will check each time the record is edited. Once the process is triggered, Insightly won't check it again.
- Click Save.
Now you're taken to the Workflow Process edit page, where you'll enter your criteria and actions. You can repeat the following sections multiple times, if you have many different groups of criteria and actions.
- Click Add Criteria.
- Enter a name for this set of criteria. We'll enter, "High value opportunity."
- Select the field and an operator, then enter a value for the criteria that will trigger the process. If there's more than one part to your triggering rule, click Add Filter Row and select the AND or OR operator. Use AND to narrow the number of matching records, and use OR to broaden the list of matches.
In this example, we're creating a set of criteria for opportunities with a bid amount greater than or equal to $50k AND in Won status.
- When you have more than two filters use both AND and OR Boolean operators, you'll need to organize them using the Filter Logic field to correctly match your trigger. This works very much like the filter logic for Lead Assignment Rules. If you're not mixing AND and OR operators, you can skip this step.
- Click Save Criteria.
At this point, you've told Insightly what kind of records to keep an eye on and what to match them to. Now, you'll define when actions should occur, and which actions Insightly should take when a record matches your process and criteria.
You can repeat the following two sections as many times as you need to for creating all your workflow actions. Let's first look at setting up a time trigger.
- Click Add New Time Trigger.
- Enter a number and select the date and time parameters for triggering actions. For this example, we'll have an email sent 4 days after the record triggers the criteria.
- Select the date field to queue your time trigger. The date fields will vary depending on the type of record you've selected. Tasks will include due dates, opportunities will include close dates, etc. The Workflow Criteria Trigger Date is when the record is created or edited to match the criteria you've entered.
- Click Save Time Trigger.
- The new time trigger will be displayed with the rest of the information you've entered so far. The Actions buttons on the right allow you to modify the time trigger, as well as add the actions to the Workflow Process, which is what we'll do in the next section.
- Click Actions in the Immediate Actions section or for any of the time triggers you've set up, according to when you'd like the action to take place.
- Click on the action you'd like to occur when a record matches your criteria. Your choices are:
Emails sent through workflows do not count towards your mass email sending limits, but they will be saved to Insightly as a record and count against your record limit.
- Add A Task - Creates a new task linked to the trigger record.
- Send An Email - Sends an email linked to the trigger record.
- Add New Record - Creates a new record linked to the trigger record.
- Add New Webhook - Sets up a webhook to send information to an external application.
- Update This Record - Updates the selected fields in the trigger record.
- Complete the information required for the action you've selected.
- When you're all done, click the Save button.
Again, you can repeat the sections for criteria, time triggers, and actions to create multiple workflows and actions for many work processes.
For information about adding this feature to your account, email our sales team.