On March 25, 2017, Insightly made changes to some fields on contact and organization records. These FAQs summarize those changes.
We'll be releasing additional features and changes in the week following this update.
See them here
Why did Insightly make these changes?
Which record types and fields will change?
What will happen to my existing data?
Where will my extra contact fields be moved?
Where will my extra organization fields be moved?
Can I delete all the notes that were created with the excess information?
What if a contact has more than one email address?
Does this affect Google Contacts Sync?
How can I restore my extra field data to new custom fields?
From March 25, 2017 in Insightly, the default contact record will have six phone numbers, two addresses, and an email address. We’re also adding 2 new fields to contacts for an assistant's name and phone number that many customers have requested. Organizations will by default have two addresses, two phone numbers, and a website field. Previously contacts had no fixed number of phone or address fields. A few of the advantages of this structure and reasons we made the changes are:
- Much faster and simpler reporting for customers
- Improved contact sync with Google Contacts
- Easier customer importing from other data sources
- Enhanced duplicate checking for contact and organization records
- Ability to email linked contacts from projects, tasks, and opportunities
- New feature to automatically import emails from Gmail or Outlook in an upcoming release
- New feature to auto-populate phone and address information in contacts and organizations from verified public records in an upcoming release
Previously, an unlimited number of phone numbers, email addresses, mailing addresses, and websites could be added to contacts and organizations. This was difficult to maintain for many customers, especially for those who tried to update existing records during an import or resolve duplicate records.
After the changes listed below are implemented on March 25, there will be fewer duplicate fields to manage, and two new fields for contacts.
|Record Type||Field||# Before||# After||Available Labels*|
|Contact||Phone||Unlimited||6||Phone, Home, Mobile, Other, Assistant, Fax|
|Contact||Assistant Name||0||1 - NEW||Assistant Name|
|Contact||Date of Birth||0||1 - NEW||Date of Birth|
* One type of label can be used for each field. For example, you will be able to enter one mobile number and one fax number, but not two mobile numbers.
For most customers, all your existing data will be migrated into the new matching fields and field types. There is nothing you will need to do.
If there are extra field values in a contact or an organization before March 25, 2017 (such as two contact email addresses), the first value that was added will be retained in the new field. Any extra values will be moved into an "Additional Contact/Organization Information" note in the record's Notes subtab. Fields that are being removed will also be moved to the note.
The new notes will appear in each record's Notes subtab as well as the activity feed on the Home page.
Reports, custom filters, Web to Contact forms, email templates, and workflows that reference the fields will still function and reference the value that is retained in the record.
The first value for each type of changed field will be moved to a new location. Insightly will check the field labels in the order listed below.
If there is more than one value for a changed field, the first one is kept the extra values will be moved into the "Additional Contact Information" note located in the Notes subtab.
|Original Contact Field||New Location|
|Phone.Phone (Other)||Phone (Other)|
Any additional fields that duplicate the labels in the right column (e.g., extra email addresses or fax numbers)
All other phone numbers and addresses will be moved to the "Additional Contact Information" note.
For example, for emails: Work, Home, Personal, and then Other will be checked in that order. If there is no Work email, but there is a Home email, the Home email will be moved to the new Email Address field. If there are Personal and Other email addresses—or another Home email—those will be moved into the note.
The first value entered for each type of affected field will be moved to a new location. Insightly will check the field labels in the order listed below.
The first value in each of the groups below will be moved to the new location. All other phone numbers and addresses will be moved to the "Additional Organization Information" note.
|Original Contact Field||New Location|
Any additional fields that duplicate the labels in the right column (e.g., extra fax numbers or website addresses)
Yes, all the "Additional Contact/Organization Information" notes can be permanently deleted by an Insightly administrator from the System Settings > Contact Information File Export page.
Extra information, like additional email addresses and phone numbers, can be added by setting up custom fields. Custom fields can be created for any data that doesn't fit into the default fields that Insightly provides. When importing records, you can map extra data to your custom fields.
If you use Google Contacts Sync, and a contact in Google includes any excess fields that have been removed, Insightly would only remove that extra data from the Google contact if you either (a) edit the contact record or (b) click Resync All Contacts Now on the User Settings > Google Sync page.
Any extra phone numbers, addresses, and other fields are still accessible from the System Settings > Contact Information File Export page. While you can download all the data, you can also follow the steps below to have Insightly create new email, phone, and website custom fields and automatically move related data for you.
A few things to know:
- The new custom fields will be placed in the Details section at the top of contact or organization records. You can move or rename them on the System Settings > Custom Fields page.
- Insightly will number the new custom field labels for you. For example, if you have a contact with 3 extra work email addresses, your custom fields will be Email Work 1, Email Work 2, and Email Work 3.
- You won't be able to use the custom email fields to send a message from Insightly.
- The new "Email" custom field will have the same matching function as the main email field, so it will automatically link saved email messages to matching contacts.
- This function does not include physical address fields.
- The custom field limits on your account will be increased by one for every new field you create, so these changes will not impact your current plan subscription.
- When merging records, populated custom field values from the source are not transferred to empty custom fields in the master record. Remember this when choosing which record to merge from, or edit the master record and add those values prior to merging.
To restore your excess data into custom fields:
- Go to System Settings > Contact Information File Export.
- Scroll down to Auto-Import Contact Informaton as Custom Fields. You will see two sections in the list: Contacts Fields and Organization Fields. The list includes the field name, the label, and the number of records that included that label.
If you'd like to view the list of records and field data, click the Export Data link at the end of the row to have a CSV file emailed to you.
- To create a new custom field and populate it with the data, click Add as Custom Field. You won't need to import data since Insightly is performing both steps for you.
You may only click this button once. If you delete the custom field and its data later, you won't be able to restore it again.
Insightly will send you an email when the custom field has been created and your data has been migrated.