There are many ways to start adding a new task in Insightly:
- Add New Task from the Quick-add button at the top of any Insightly page
- New Task button above the list on the Tasks page
- Gmail Chrome extension, Outlook add-in or mobile apps
- Actions menu on most records, including saved emails
- Add Task button in the Tasks subtab of most records
Tasks are often related to projects or opportunities, or linked to contacts, leads, or organizations. While you can manually enter these connections when you add a task, starting a new task directly from a record will automatically creates a link for you. We'll use this method in our example.
To add a new task from a record:
- Open the record and click the Activity subtab.
- Click Add Activity > Add New Task
- Enter a name for the task. This is the only required information, but the rest of the fields will help you organize and manage your tasks.
- Select the user or team who will be responsible for the task. When assigning tasks to individual users, they will receive an email notification to let them know they have a new a task.
If you select a team, you will choose whether to create a single task for the entire team or multiple copies of the task—one for each team member. See Assigning a task to a team.
- Select a category.
- Click the pop-up calendars to add a Date Due and/or Start Date. The task will appear on the assignee's Insightly calendar on the due date. If no due date was entered, the task will appear on the start date.
- Choose a Reminder date and time to receive an email reminder.Task reminders can only be set for your own tasks. When assigning a task to another user, they'll need to set their own reminder by editing the task.
- When a task includes a due date, you'll see the option to repeat it at a recurring interval (e.g., Every Weekday).If a task is completed after the next recurring date, Insightly will skip that date and jump to the next one. For example, a repeating task that was due last Wednesday was completed on Thursday of the following week. The next task will be created with a due date of the following Wednesday.
- Enter a progress percentage (number only), priority, and status, if needed.
- To organize a task within a project or opportunity Pipeline, you can select which Pipeline and stage the task will be connected to. For projects with Milestones, you can place the task within a milestone.
If you didn't create the task directly from an opportunity or project, you can click the Related to line to search and select one. This will automatically add a link to the related item when the task is saved.
- Select the Visibility permission for the task. "Public" allows any of the users on your account view the task. "Private" limits viewing permissions to yourself, the task assignee, and Insightly administrators.This setting will not appear if your account is set to Advanced Permissions.
- Enter a description for the task.
- Click Save or Save & New.