If you are migrating to Insightly from another CRM or moving your data between Insightly accounts, you may have contact or organization notes to import. Each row in your file must represent a single note and include fields that will allow Insightly to match the note to the proper record. Download our templates to help you set up a properly formatted file.
For the Note Date field, you can specify a past date, if needed. If you don't assign a date, we will just add today's date. The best format for note dates is DD-MMM-YYYY (e.g., 24-MAR-2011).
Matching your note to the correct record
In your file, each row represents a note, and each column represents a field, like Note Title or Organization Name. When you import notes, Insightly will look through your contact or organization list to match up the note to the correct record. To find the correct record, Insightly needs to match on two fields: the name and one other field.
Organization note matching
For each organization note, the organization name must match exactly, and then one of the following must match, too:
- A phone number for the Insightly organization matches the phone number specified in your file.
- An email address for the organization matches the email address specified in your file.
- A website for the organization matches the website address specified in your file.
Contact note matching
For each contact note, both the first name and last name of the contact must match exactly. (First Name fields contain both first and middle names.) Secondly, one of the following must match:
- An organization linked to the Insightly contact matches the organization name in your file.
- A phone number for the Insightly contact matches the phone number specified in your file.
- An email address for the contact matches the email address specified in your file.
Importing your notes
You can import notes for contacts from the Contacts page and notes for organizations from the Organizations page.
- Select the Contacts or Organizations page.
- Click the Import link from the right sidebar.
- Select the link for importing notes from a CSV file.
- Click the Select File button and choose your file.
- Choose an import action.
- Add New Records - Add new records and skip records that Insightly recognizes as duplicates.
- Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file. Skip all other records.
- Add New Records and Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file, skip duplicates, and add all other records.
- Uncheck the next box if your file does not include a header row.
- Click Next.
- Insightly will display three columns: Insightly fields, headers from your file, and the first record in your file. Select or verify the Insightly Field for each column in your file. If you're importing tags with your records, you might want to review Importing records with tags.
- Click the Start This Import button.
If you import notes and make an error or import incorrect data, you'll need to go to the Home tab, select Notes from the Activity Type filter, and then delete the imported notes one by one before re-importing them.