There are two ways you can import contacts from Gmail to Insightly:
Export & import via CSV
This method gives you total control over which fields you'd like imported and where you'd like the information saved. You'll do this by exporting your contacts from Google and importing the CSV file to Insightly.
This import process is faster than importing directly from Google, and if you have unique information or custom fields to bring over, it's the best way to import your contacts.
Import directly from Google
Insightly provides a way to import your Gmail contacts through a direct connection with Google. This feature depends on many processes on the Google side, so there are a few things to know before choosing this method:
- Direct import can sometimes take more than 30 minutes to display your contact list.
- Insightly will display all contacts from Google, not just the contacts in your My Contacts group. You'll then be able to select which ones to import.
- Contacts with email addresses that match contacts in Insightly will not be imported and will not update the existing Insightly contacts.
- It's not possible to import custom fields or select fields for import.
Insightly will import a contact's:
- Organization (creating a new contact and linking the two)
To import your Google Contacts directly:
- Click the Contacts tab in the left navigation bar, and then click the Import Contacts And Notes link in the right sidebar.
- Click the Setup Google Integration link to establish a connection to your Google account. If you've already connected Insightly to Google, you will see an "Import" link instead and can skip to step 5.
- Enter or confirm your Google credentials and click the Allow button to grant Insightly permission to access your Google Contacts list.
Only click the Allow button after confirming that your browser is connecting to the correct Google account. Your account information will be in the upper right corner. (If you do connect to the wrong account, you can view and remove connected apps from your Google account's security settings.)
- Click Import your contacts from Gmail and wait for the list to load. Insightly will display the available contacts after the list has been received from Google. This may take 30 minutes or more, depending on the number of contacts and the traffic on Google's servers.
- When the list appears, click the checkboxes to the left of the names and email addresses you'd like to import. You can select the checkbox above the list to select all the contacts.
All your Google contacts will appear on the list, even if they are not in your My Contacts group.
- Click the Import Selected Contacts button.
- A message will appear at the top of the Contacts page to confirm the import has started. Insightly will send you an email when the import is complete.