Similar to linking, you can use the lookup relationship custom field to relate records to other records. The object type you are relating to determines the format for the lookup field in your import file. Standard objects, such as contacts, projects, and opportunities, need a specific format to import the data.
To import standard object information into a lookup field:
- Prepare your import file.
- Create a column in your import file for the lookup relationship custom field.
- Enter the following format for the standard records: record ID; record Name. Don't put any spaces between the record ID number and record name. For example, let's say we have a contact named Sansa Stark, and the record ID number is 275104122.
- Import the data into your account.
If you need to relate a record to a custom object record, it depends on the field type for the custom object's record name. Custom object records that use a text field for the field name need to use the record id; record name format. If the field type is auto number, then you only need the record ID in the import file.
If your lookup custom field is related to an Insightly user, instead of using the user's Contact record ID, you would use their User ID.
To find a User ID
- Go to System Settings > User List.
- Select a user.
- In the URL, the User ID is listed after UserDetails/.
To import an auto number custom object record into a lookup field: