After you've prepared your file for importing, you can begin importing your records.
- When importing for the first time, start with a file containing just a few of your records to make sure your import is working properly and information is placed correctly.
- If you have specialized information in your file—like billing ID numbers or customer types—be sure to create custom fields before importing. Otherwise, you'll have no place to map the fields during the import process.
We have articles to guide you through importing leads and contact or organization notes. In the steps below, we're importing contact records. For other records, you may see additional selections during import, but the steps are the same.
To import records:
- In the left navigation bar, click the tab for the type of records you're importing.
- On the right sidebar you’ll see the Import/Export links. Choose the Import link.
- If displayed, choose an import method. In our example, we will choose the most common method, Import Contacts from a CSV File. (Some pages will take you directly to the next step.)
- Click Select File, choose a file to be imported, then click Next.
- Choose an import action.
- Add New Records - Add new records and skip records that Insightly recognizes as duplicates.
- Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file. Skip all other records.
- Add New Records and Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file, skip duplicates, and add all other records.
- Uncheck the next box if your file does not include a header row.
- Click Next.
- Insightly will display three columns: Insightly fields, headers from your file, and the first record in your file. Select or verify the Insightly Field for each column in your file. If you're importing tags with your records, you might want to review Importing records with tags.
- Click the Start This Import button.
A confirmation message will display as your file is successfully placed in an import queue. We'll send you an email within a few minutes letting you know when the process has completed and if there were any problems with the import.