After you've prepared your file for importing, you can begin importing your records.
In the steps below, we're importing contact records. For other records, you may see additional selections during import, but the steps are the same. We have articles to guide you through importing leads and contact or organization notes.
Before you get started
- If you have specialized information in your file—like billing ID numbers or customer types—be sure to create custom fields before importing. You'll need these fields to map your information during the import process.
- When importing for the first time, test the import with a file that contains just a few of your records.
To import records
- Click the object tab for the type of records you're importing.
- Click the Import... link in the sidebar. If the sidebar is not displayed, click the Show Sidebar icon.
- If displayed, choose an import method. Some record imports will not require this step.
In our example, we will choose the most common method, Import Contacts from a CSV File.
- Click Select File, then choose a file to be imported. Click Next.
- Choose an import action.
- Add New Records - Add new records and skip records that Insightly recognizes as duplicates.
- Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file. Skip all other records.
- Add New Records and Update Existing Records - Update records that match the Record ID field in your file, skip duplicates, and add all other records.
- Uncheck the next box if your file does not include a header row.
- Check the next box if you want to trigger workflow automation actions that are applicable to the records you are importing.
- Click Next.
- Insightly will display three columns: Insightly fields, headers from your file, and the first record in your file. Select or verify the Insightly Field for each column in your file. If you're importing tags with your records, you might want to review Importing records with tags.
- Click Start This Import.
A confirmation message will display as your file is successfully placed in an import queue. We'll send you an email within a few minutes letting you know when the process has completed and if there were any problems with the import.