Insightly's SmartMerge feature can help you find duplicate contacts, leads, or organizations and merge them into one master record.
The master record will keep any field data that doesn't allow multiple values, like custom fields or name fields, and add new data that allows multiple values, like organization email domains.
There are four ways to start the SmartMerge process:
- Click the SmartMerge link in the right sidebar on a list view page. This will find records with the exact same name.
- Select multiple records from the list view and click the SmartMerge button above the list.
- Open an individual record, click the Actions menu, and select the SmartMerge option. This will display records with names that sound similar to the master record.
- Run a report from the SmartMerge page. The emailed spreadsheet report will also display records with names that sound similar to each other.
What's a master record?
- Merge the text from each record's Background field.
- Populate empty Insightly default and custom fields in the master with values from the source.
- Delete the source record and move it into the Recycle Bin.
It's important to keep these points in mind when selecting the master record.
To merge the records from the SmartMerge page:
- Scroll down to the group of matching records that you would like to merge. Only the records in the selected group will be merged, and you can uncheck the name of records to exclude them.
You can also find a specific record and close matches to it by typing a name in the field above the list of matches.
- Click the SmartMerge Selected button next to the group of records that you would like to merge.
- Select the master record from the list on the right...
... or from the dropdown list.
- You can compare and update data by selecting the different records and scrolling through the page. But remember, your last selection before merging will be the master record.
- When the master record is selected, click the Merge button.
- A confirmation message will display when the merge is complete.