If you find a duplicate contact or organization in your CRM, you could delete it by using the Delete option in the Actions menu. But if it contains information that's not in your original record, you can also merge it into the correct record.
Merging a duplicate record (the source) into another record (the master) will:
- Merge the text from each record's Background field.
- Populate empty Insightly default fields in the master with values from the source.
- Retain all other values in the master record, including empty custom fields.
- Delete the source record and move it into the Recycle Bin.
It's important to keep these points in mind when selecting which record to merge from.
These steps for merging two organizations are the same for merging two contacts.
- Open the duplicate record (the source). Remember, the record you are viewing is the one that will be merged and deleted.
- Click the Actions button and select Merge into an Organization from the menu.
If you are merging two Contact's, you will need to scroll to the bottom of the Action's menu.
- Begin typing the name of the Organization that you would like to merge this record into. Matches will begin appearing as you type.
- Click the the name of your target Organization.
- Click Merge These Organizations.
- Select the master record from the list on the right.
You can compare and update data by selecting the different records and scrolling through the page. But remember, your last selection before merging will be the master record.
- Click Merge Organizations.
- The target record will now appear with merged information, and a confirmation message will appear at the top of the page.