This article is part of the Insightly Reporting Guide
In this article
How do Reports Work?
Insightly's Advanced Reporting object allows users to gather, customize, and review data regarding a wide variety of information located within Insightly CRM.
When accessing Reports via the objects on the left side, the Advanced Reporting Page will display the following report folders:
- My Personal Reports: Custom reports that have been created can be found in this folder.
- Shared Reports: Custom reports that have been shared with a user but not created by the user can be found in this folder.
- All Reports: Both custom reports and shared reports can be found in this folder.
- Report Folders contain saved reports and report templates. Click a folder to view the reports or templates it contains.
- The reports list displays the reports in the folder you've selected. You can search the folder by report name in the Search Reports field. To create a report based on a template, click a template name. To run a report you've saved, click the report name.
- A schedule icon and/or alert icon will appear if a report is set up to email a report at a scheduled time or when an alert is triggered.
You can select which of the columns appear in the reports list by clicking the Choose Columns icon and clicking the column names. Sort the displayed columns by clicking a header.
When creating a report from a template or editing an existing report, the report editor allows users to edit and save a report. The following options are available for all reports:
- Close: Close and exit the report
- Save: Save edits and configurations that have been applied to the report
- Run Report: Run the report and review the results
- Report Properties: Apply a custom report name and save the report to a specified folder
Report Filters and Parameters
For additional information regarding report filtering, please review the Report Filters and Filter Logic article.
The Report Filters and Parameters section can be utilized to edit default filters applied to reports as well as add new filters to customize reports; new filters can be added by clicking Add a Filter Row or by dragging and dropping a field from the Report Fields section. In the example below, the Email Performance Report has a default filter to display information from the last 90 days although (as with all reports), this filter can be edited or removed and additional filters can be added:
Icons in the upper right of the Report Filters and Parameters section allow for the following customization:
- Filter Record by Owner: Display records that are owned by a specific user.
- Filter By Date: For reports that have a default filter applied to review the last 90 days, this option will already be enabled.
- Configure Filter Logic: This configuration is available when three or more filter rows have been applied to a report. Please review the Report Filters and Filter Logic article for information on using filter logic.
- Add Summary Field: This configuration can be added when a report includes a numeric field. Please review the Report Actions article for more information on adding a summary field.
- Add Chart to Report: This configuration is available once a grouping has been added to a report. Please review the Report Actions article for more information on adding a chart to a report.
The Report Fields section displays fields that can be added to the report being viewed. These fields can be dragged and dropped to both the Filters and Parameters section and the report's Preview Grid. The fields displayed in this section are the same fields available when Add a Filter Row is clicked in the Report Filters and Parameters section. The field type are indicated by the icon next to the field name in the list:
- a - Text fields
- # - Numeric fields
- Calendar icon - Date fields
- Dropdown list icon - Custom dropdown lists
- TF - True/False values. (For fields like Custom checkboxes which are checked/true or unchecked/false, and Completed tasks which are complete/true or incomplete/false).
- The icons in the upper right provide additional reporting options to filter by the records you own or by date, user filter logic when more than two filters are used, add a summary field, or add a chart to a report.
- From Filters and Parameters, you can add a filter by dragging and dropping a field name to this area. Click the icons in the top right to add additional filters, add logic functions for more than 2 filters, and add a summary row if your report includes a numeric field.
- Drag and drop fields to the Preview Grid to add them to your report and see a preview of the results. You can then drag a field name left or right to move the column, click a column header to change the sort order, drag and drop it up to the grouping area to group by values, or click the X next to the field name to remove it.
- You can search a particular report field by field name in the search bar on the left
The Preview Grid allows users to review report data prior to running a report. Various configuration abilities are also possible within the Preview Grid:
- Export to Excel can clicked to export the report data into an Excel spreadsheet.
- Groupings can be created by dragging and dropping column headers into the groupings section. Once groupings have been created, a chart can be added to a report. Please review the Report Actions article for more information on adding a chart to a report.
- Data columns can be removed by clicking the X for the column.
- Additional data columns can be added by dragging and dropping fields from the Report Fields section into the Preview Grid.
- Date columns can have the date format configured by clicking the three dots menu in the date column.
Via the View Report screen, the Actions dropdown can be clicked to export the report into various formats; the option to print the report is also made available
Report Generation Status
This section displays the total results of the report and will contain a numerical value of records that are included in the report.
Report Schedule and Alert
Report Filters and Parameters
Within the section, the filters that were applied in the Report Editor can be reviewed. Filters are read only in this section; to edit filters and rerun the report, the Pen icon (edit) can be clicked to return to the Report Editor.
This section displays the report results in the same fashion as the Preview Grid in the Report Editor. This section will display up to 2000 results; if the report contains more than 2000 results, the report can be exported via the Export to Excel button or the options in the Actions dropdown. Once exported, the initial 2000 results can be reviewed as well as any results that exceed the initial 2000.
Using the buttons above the report, you can:
- Close the report and return to the Report Folders view.
- Click the pencil/Edit button to edit the report.
- Click the Actions menu to copy, edit, delete, print, or export the report. (You can also print it by clicking the printer icon in the upper-right.)
- Set up a schedule or alert. (Available on accounts with paid subscriptions.)