By linking records in Insightly, you can get a 360-degree view of a record's connections and easily move between them. Links can be viewed in the Related subtab on every record.
This article explains how to create a link. You can also see links in action by viewing our video tutorial.
These are just a few examples of links you can set up in Insightly:
- Contact to Organization for people and their companies. The "Role" field in the link is where you'll place a contact's title or role at a company.
- Opportunity to Contact or Organization to see everyone who's related to a deal, including decision makers, influencers, and salespeople. When you view a contact, you'll also see every deal they're involved with.
- Contact to Contact for relationships between people, and Organization to Organization for relationships between companies. These two types of relationships are selected from a list that your Insightly administrator sets up.
- Contact to Event to see who has been invited to, contributing to, or organizing an event.
You can link one record to another or use bulk editing to link multiple records to one record.
To link two records:
- Open a record and click Related.
- Click Add Link next to the type of record you'll be linking. You can link to contacts, organizations, opportunities, and projects.
- Begin typing the name of the record you'll link to and click a name from the matches that appear below your entry.
- Enter a role and description to explain the records' connection. Or, if you're linking two contacts or two organizations together...
... select from the Relationship list that has been set up by your Insightly administrator.
- Click Save.
The link will now appear in the Related subtab on each of the records. Roll your mouse cursor over the link to peek at important details and see the editing options.
You can delete or edit the details of a link by clicking the three dot menu to its right. Deleting only deletes the link between the records, not the record itself.
To link multiple records:
You can link more than one item to a single item by using bulk editing.
- From a list view, click the check boxes next to the records that you'd like to link to another.
- Click the Add Link icon which appears above the list.
- Begin typing the name of the record you'd like to link to and click a name from the matches that appear below your entry. You can link to contacts, organizations, opportunities, and projects.
- Enter or select a role or title for the link.
- Click Add Link to link the selected records to that item.