Insightly's main search field is right at the top of the page when you log in. Let's see what happens when you start searching.
- When you place your cursor in the search field, the last ten records you've viewed will be displayed.
- When you start typing search terms, Insightly will begin to list matching records. The most relevant items are listed first. Search also recognizes when you enter a complete email address or URL and will focus on those fields to find the best results. (Insightly won't match characters without accents to similar characters with accents. "Pete Álvares" will not match "Pete Alvares".)
If a record was recently added, it may take a few minutes for it to appear in search results.
- You'll see an option to focus your search on the types of objects you were viewing in the list. For example, if you're on the Contacts tab, you can click "Search... in Contacts" to get search results from your contact records only.
- You can also focus searches from any tab by entering the type of object you're looking for. The format for this focused search is "type:[Record Type] [Search term]". For example, "type:contacts pete" will list only contacts matching "pete".
- Up to 30 matching results will display below the search field, but pressing Enter key or clicking on one of the "Search" links in the results will take you to a search results page with more matches. Click on a selection from the list on the left to see results of a particular object.
Insightly determines relevant results based on your search terms and what they match to. For example, an exact match to a contact name will rank higher than matches in notes or comments, and email addresses and URLs will rank higher when they’re matched to email or website fields.
More ways to focus your search
- Tags and custom fields - There's no need to set up a filter when you're looking for records with a single tag or custom field value. Just use the search.
- Phone numbers - Enter a string of numbers without dashes or hyphens or parentheses and you'll find matching phone numbers and other number strings regardless of their format in a record. Your entry will have to be a match the entire number, partial matches will not work.
- Email addresses - Enter a full or partial email address to find matches. Searches like insightly.com will find all contacts with an email address for that domain.
- Web addresses - Enter a full URL to find a match, such as www.insightly.com.
- Exact matches - Force exact text matches by using quotes. For example, typing Cabral will find all records containing that string—Cabrallo, Cabraló. But a search for “Cabral” will display only the results that match the text exactly.